Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Australian Television

The more I watch Australian commercial television the more frustrated I get with it. There are so many things I don’t like about it.

There are too many noisy low quality commercials, actually wasting my time just to watch them.
The news is too Australian-centric. If anything happens in the world, if there are no Australian involved, it is not news worthy. E.g. Hurricane Wilma hits Mexico, all the news talks about is the number of Australian that were in Mexico. Why don’t they talks about the locals? This is something I would like to hear your views on.

Australian Idol is unashamedly wasting our time: Everything after the break. I don’t watch Australian idol anymore. Australian idol lost a lot with the departure of Dicko. I’ve lost my respect for Mark Holden, he is so un-entertaining.

Current affairs are just gossips. I wish they were more of the investigative television type programs like “Four Corners” on ABC.

I think a solution to this is to tape what you want to watch and watch it afterward, where you can fast forward though the commercials.

However, ABC and SBS are different. There are so many interesting documentaries worth watching these days, especially on Mondays, Thursdays, and Sundays.
Yes, I love to watch documentaries, I hate soaps and police-detective shows.
Documentaries worth watching are “Fact or Fiction”, “Auschwitz” (Thursday on ABC), “The history of Gold” (Sunday on SBS). If you’ve missed the first parts of those documentaries, make such you don’t miss the final parts. I also liked “The life of Nat King Cole” on ABC yesterday.

3 comments:

Hammy said...

I hear you loud and clear. News?! It's only news if the ABC or SBS report it. Current affairs - not on the free to air stations. There is a lot of gossip and bickering and not much newsworthy stuff. I only watch Lost or sport, or the news now. Have lost a lot of interest in the idiot box. I can't stand watching the blockbuster movies on the telly now as they build them up so much and then fill them with 3 1/2 to 4 min ad breaks. I'd rather pay to watch the DVD.

Hammy said...

I agree with you about Dicko. Australian Idol lost its soul when he left. As for having respect for Mark Holden - are you out of your mind?

Anonymous said...

Heartily agree with most of what you said, Ben. I use the mute button a lot. I also tape things to watch later. It is better not to have to wait for the ads to finish.